Saturday, August 6, 2011

BRAVERY


When I lived in Charlotte, a very sick Smokie got into a fight with a raccoon. I was in the kitchen baking cookies when Noodle chased Toshi in the house with growl and a bark that clearly meant “stay”. I followed Noodle outside to see what the fuss was about. Smokie was losing a fight with a raccoon. Noodle took the raccoon from Smokie- shook it till it’s neck broke- then gave it back to Smoke. I had never seen anything like it my life. Noodle was bitten all over his head and snout.

I had never seen him kill a fly- but that day he came to the rescue of his old dog and his new dog all at once. The next day- he was outside with Toshi and a stuffed toy, showing Toshi how to kill. It was amazing to watch, as the little puppy would shake his head back and forth and then Noodle would take the toy and show him again. If he could talk, I imagine he would be saying to Toshi, “You have to do it like this.”

On 5/26/11 Noodle, my 12 year old Chow- Terrier mix, had his necrotic tail amputated and his teeth cleaned (thinking his gum disease was the cause of the necrotic tail). He came home, was on pain pills and antibiotics for two weeks, and seemed fine. About two weeks later, he started having problems eating his food.  By 6/25, he could not open his jaw. We started him on antibiotics and pain pills 7/7. By 7/18 still no change, I brought him to the vet- where he was given an injection of antibiotic and more antibiotic and pain pills. On 7/25: he was given a skull x-ray, prednisone, muscle relaxers, and pepcid.

The Dr. went over the x-rays with me and pointed out where she thought it was arthritis. She thought the problem was arthritis and that his jaw had atrophied. She said she was going to look into options for me.  Her assistant called me yesterday to tell me that he can have surgery (no guarantees of course) and that it would cost about $5000.00.

So wait-if it is arthritis, what would the surgery be?  That was my only question to start with. But I could not get an answer. Here is my email to her-

Hi Dr. Podracka,

Thank you for contacting the surgeon and getting an estimate for the surgery. I understand it would be risky so I really need to be able to explain this to my son. I just have a couple of questions.

1.  What would the surgery entail- in other words what would the surgeon be fixing exactly?
2.  How long would the recovery time be approx?
3.  Would his jaw be wired closed?
4.  Mac has very watery eyes now- it looks like he is crying- this is something new- can you tell me what this might mean about his condition?

 My son is coming tonight- so if you could reply today that would be very helpful-

Thank you for your time- I appreciate all you have done.

Katie

Nick arrived at my house yesterday before I got home from work and before I received a reply to my email questions. He saw Noodle for the first time since the lockjaw episode. He took one look at him and went into action. He called me for the veterinarians’ phone number and then went over there for Noodle’s records. He did some research and low and behold- he has come to the same conclusion as my sister Angie- that Noodle has tetanus.

Angie has been telling me this for two weeks now-she even called the Dr. and told her what she thought- but the Vet disagreed.  I admit-I did some research and didn’t think it was tetanus. However- since then, more symptoms have presented themselves and it is looking more like tetanus.  At this point- we owe it to Noodle to at least get him the treatment, which would completely cure him if it is tetanus and not hurt him at all if we are wrong.

Nick found this information in an article: “INCREASED activity of serum creatine phosphokinase (CPK) has been reported recently in patients with tetanus and may be useful in the diagnosis of this disease.1 The object of the present study was to identify the tissue source of the elevated serum CPK in tetanus and to determine the mechanism of its release from the tissue.” 
Origin of Increased Serum Creatine Phosphokinase in Tetanus An Isoenzyme Analysis
IRWIN A. BRODY, MD; MARTIN A. HATCHER, MD
Arch Neurol. 1967;16(1):89-93.

Noodle’s CPK was 2513 prior to his tail amputation. Normal canine CPK  (Creatine phosphokinase) should be 20 – 200.

While tetanus in dogs is rare- it’s not unheard of. The incubation period for tetanus is two weeks. I found a few articles written by people chronicling the symptoms, course of action and recovery of tetanus in their dogs. There is hope.  Nick asked the vet to order the appropriate medication. If she won’t- we will find someone who will. Meanwhile I am going to bulk him up with as many calories I can pack into his feeding as possible. (His weight-loss has been significant.)

My sister has been a great support while I have been going through this ordeal and I really appreciate it. She has loaned me her Care Credit dollars to pay for the bulk of the hospitalization and medicine and she has called me every day to see how Noodle and I are doing.

Having my son step in like he did yesterday was great. I am a little “sick dog” weary right now and needed that reinforcement to get me through the next phase. I could feel his decisiveness and his positive forcibility and knew that somehow we would get through this ordeal.

And my Noodle… well he is just the bravest dog I have ever met. He has not complained or whined once. He still tries to play with Toshi, though not being able to open his mouth puts him at a clear disadvantage. He still follows me from room to room and greets me with complete enthusiasm when I come home from work. He really is a very good, very brave, boy.







A link with information regarding tetanus in animals

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/tetanus_in_pets.html

4 comments:

  1. Katie, Have u ever heard of a dr. lawrence chaulk, he is like a house,aka tv diagnostic dr. he lives up north. is it ok if i try and contact him and forward what u have said. he is the very very best. it does not hurt to try, please let me know, i will not do anything till i hear from u ....my heart goes to all of u....prayers for all too....let me know again ok, love cuz....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Katie. I hope you find a vet who can help Noodle soon. Sending you and Noodle my thoughts and wishes for his return to good health.

    Lynda (Novi, MI)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sad to see, Katie. I'm really impressed with Nick and his research. I hope that this IS the answer and that treatment will heal Noodle soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies- I am really hoping this is the issue- because it is curable- if it's not too late. And Nick.. that kid- he made me buy him Grey's Anatomy when he was about 7 years old and he would lay in bed every night studying it- and then when he was in Iraq-he had me send him the Merke Manual so he could help the Doc whose diagnostic skills were minimal- according to Nick. He has a knack for this stuff- but hates school so becoming a Dr. is not ever going to be an option for him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment ;o)