Sunday, June 5, 2011

I'm Watching You


About 27 years ago, when I was nearly three months pregnant with Nick, and living in upper North Beach at very top of Chestnut St. I decided to take my laundry to the Laundromat on Stockton Street where they would wash and fold for me. I loaded up my little cart, put my boyfriend’s sweats and a baggy T-shirt on, my hair in a ponytail and marched out my front door.  I wasn’t showing yet- but my waist felt thick and the only clothes I felt comfortable in were baggy, too big for me clothes.

I noticed it was getting a little more difficult to walk the San Francisco hills I had been walking up and down for years. Hormones zapping my strength, increased blood volume, and a Dr.’s order to bed-rest zapping my muscle tone, made me just a little slower.  My slowness would not have been noticeable to anyone but me and a few people who knew I was a power walker.

After I dropped off my laundry and cart, my legs felt like rubber and I thought to myself I better get home and lie down. I was not used to being so weak and was not fond of the dizzy, lightheaded feeling I had.

About three buildings in front of me, I saw a car pull into a driveway. It was a station wagon with blacked out windows. The driver got out of the car and with his drivers side door open he leaned over to look under his car.

The hair on the back of my neck stood up. My stomach turned- as if a baby the size of a pea could do somersaults and I would notice.

His car blocked the sidewalk, and when I reached the spot where he was parked he said. “Excuse me, can you help me for a minute?” 

I said no, and made a wider circle into the street. He then went on to explain why he needed my help it was because he thought he had a mechanical problem, and I knew.  Alarms went off- I knew with every cell in my body he was bad and wanted to hurt me. As he started to get up I realized I was in trouble and somehow or another I was able to muster the walk that was almost a run. I booked.  He got into his car and continued down Stockton Street towards the wharf. I had turned on Chestnut and hid in a doorway until I was sure he was gone. I made my way back up the hill and to my bed. I called the police and reported him because I was positive- that he was going to find someone that would get in that car with him.  The police took my information over the phone but they never followed up so I’m not sure if they took my intuition seriously or not. But, I knew then and I know now- 27 years later- he would have killed me.

Last week I was walking my Shiba Inu on one of the back streets in the Indian Valley area. As a safety precaution, I always bring my phone on dog walks- even if it’s just around the block. As we walked by a school and park, I noticed a car that had driven up and down the block about four times. He kept watching the park- the track- specifically where a couple of girls were running. I could feel him watching me too, and at one point I turned around to look right at him but he was too far away for me to see his face. He was driving a white Acura or Mercedes, I'm not sure which. I kept watching him and the girls until I saw the girls take off to the opposite end of the park to a short cut to another street. He started driving again, passed me again and then turned around and came upon a girl walking her dog. He stopped and rolled down his window but I was too far and too deaf to hear anything- but I decided to take a picture of his car.  I waited until he left. I’m not sure if he saw me in his rear view- or if he knew I took a picture of his car- and I didn’t care. I just wanted him to go away.

Since nothing really happened- I couldn’t call the police. He could have been asking that young lady for directions. Maybe. But my gut tells me different. If anyone goes missing in the area- I will turn in the photo- you can’t see much- but maybe it would help.

A few years ago I blogged about missing children http://katiewigingtonwrites.blogspot.com/2008/12/what-can-we-do-to-help.html   – in it I mentioned Jaycee Dugard who was still missing at the time.  The fact that she was found alive is amazing and hopeful- and I that was correct in my assessment of the investigation-depressing.  We have too few detectives working these cases and their resources are becoming slim to none. We need some old-fashioned hound dogs with superior instincts not bachelors degrees with no spidey sense and no time served.

We- the public, really have to be vigilant and keep our eyes open. How some people can go through this life with blinders on, I’ll never know.

While I am out walking or driving, I am paying attention. I might even be looking for trouble- but that’s okay. I’ll sleep a lot better knowing I at least try to do something about all these kids disappearing and/or getting killed.

Pay attention to where you are and who is around you. If you think you see something “off” then chances are you are right- make a mental note- or take a picture with your phone, and if you think you should call the police CALL THE POLICE.

For more information go to this website.  The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children


Or the Polly Klaus Foundation


And if you are one of the predators in my neighborhood... then you should know... I'm watching you. 
Farthest car on right side of the street is the car I saw last week

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment ;o)