Friday, November 20, 2009

The Bubble People

Some days, I am surrounded by optimists’. Oh, not most of my friends- most of them are as crotchety as I am. But people I know. People who like bubbles and insist on happiness at all times. Frankly- they are annoying. I really can’t say I know one person who has not had some difficulty in their life. Sad events, loss of loved ones- financial woes- or all of the above. If you look at the numbers, life ain’t so rosy. Sometimes, you just have to look at the facts and acknowledge them for things to change and get better. Say it out loud. Life is shitty sometimes.


Yet we plug along- well most of us plug along. Sure- I see rainbows occasionally. I see acts of kindness for no apparent reason. I see the good stuff- and I file it. But I file the bad too. The senseless murders, wars, child abductions, mothers killing their children, friends killing friends-the permeate evil making its way around the world.


In the last few weeks numerous acts of violence have caught my eye and turned my stomach. A little 5 year old in my former home of North Carolina, was found dead in the woods. Shaniya Davis’s, mother- and I use the term mother loosely- accused of trafficking her baby for sex and an aunt refusing to believe that her sister could harm her baby. Someone must have known this woman was a crappy mother – at best. But those rose colored glasses people are so wont to wear protected the villain and not the victim- the 5 year old child whose short life must have been a living hell.


Yesterday- a friend of mine posted on facebook about a friend of his murdered in his home. The man was a former Marine and a Las Vegas police officer. He interrupted a robbery attempt standing in his own garage when he had just returned from work. Shots were fired and in the end Trevor Nettleton was dead, but his family inside the house, his wife, visiting mother and two children were safe. He was the third Las Vegas Metro Police Officer killed in 6 months.


Today, I was walking my sister’s German Shepherd. Bella is a good dog. She is wary of strangers but normally friendly. Today, Bella growled at a man on the trail and would not stop until he moved aside. My immediate reaction was to say, “No Bella, it’s okay”. I thought for a second though and realized maybe her instincts are better than mine- so instead I said “good girl”. I know the man heard me and I’m sorry if it offended him. But I would rather be sorry than dead.


People tell me I am negative- even my own son, a bit of a skeptic himself, said so last week. Maybe I am. I prefer to think of myself as a realist. Do I expect the worst from everyone? No, not really, but I am ready for it if it comes.


I believe that many of the horrible acts of crime committed are committed because people don’t want to see or get involved. I don’t know about you, but I report suspicious people in the neighborhood or suspected drunk drivers. I keep my eyes open at the grocery store, department stores, and parking lots. I don’t like surprises.


To believe the world or even any part of the world is free of malevolence is just ignorant.

It seems to me- most of the prayers for peace and goodwill go unanswered. I’m not blaming God- or Satan either. I blame people- and I blame people that won’t open their eyes and see things the way they are as well as people doing the violent, despicable acts.


If you think keeping a smile on your face and ignoring the hatred and vile incidents humankind is capable of will make the evil disappear- you are wrong. But…the 10 % of me that is optimistic wishes you were right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment ;o)