Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The No BS Doctrine

I'm always trying to reconcile everything. I like it all to make sense to me. I want it to make sense to everyone, but me first. So if someone says something that doesn't make sense or isn't logical or that I know is just plain wrong... then I am compelled to question it- ask why... ask how they got there.
Of course many people can't explain how they get from point A to point B because many people are repeating something someone else said. (and they won't admit that either)
I know I irritate people when I do this. I'm sure it's a character flaw of mine- not so much to be right because if you can convince me you are right- I will back off and even apologize- I just to want to know how people come to their conclusions.
There are people that will never give you a straight answer. I'm not one of them. They make me totally crazy. If you ask what time it is they ask you where. If you ask a point blank- what are you doing? They repeat the question back to you while they try to think of an answer...
I like straight talk. I want the fewest possible words with the most meaning. I don't like everything draped in adjectives. If it's a creative writing class - okay- break out those adjectives... but if you are giving me directions to the airport, and I need to turn left on A- just say turn left on A, leave out turn left on A street at the tall leafy oak tree.
The hard thing is when people ask a question and then don't like the answer. I had a boyfriend a hundred years ago who used to say "to ask the question is to know the answer" whenever he knew his reply was going to be something I didn't want to hear. I guess that was the beginning of the depletion of my feminine wiles. Peaked at 23.
So if you ask me a question, I will tell you the truth. I will not sugar coat it or dress it up in a hug. Because if you are only asking me because you want to hear your own voice, you are asking the wrong girl.
The local radio talk show host just got fired- allegedly for not doing his homework. He opined about everything... and sometimes I had to just turn the radio off. He is an okay guy with a conservative message, and he supports our troops which is a real plus in my book-but sometimes it felt like he was just spreading hate- with no basis I could agree with. There are a lot of things to hate in the world- but have a good reason, and be able to back it up with some facts. Repeating the wrong information and inuendo100 times is not going to make it the right information. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but sometimes those opinions are based on bullshit- so they are spouting crap.
So that is my rant for the day. All probably the least of my problems, but it was here in my head and so I thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment ;o)