Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year 2013


I remember when I was young and I couldn’t wait for life to hurry up and happen. Half my life was like a long bad dream I couldn’t wake up from and I thought if I hurried through life, I would get to that place where I was mellow, and smart and happy. Now, I need it to slow down a little. How in the hell did 2012 go by so quickly? I just turned 60 and now am sliding into 61- face first. SIXTY. Crap that is old. And I’m not much smarter than I was 25 years ago- mellower only because I’m tired out- though no smarter, much, much happier.  

I know- you are only as old as you feel. I get it. But I wake up stiff and on cold days I limp from my arthritic feet, knees and hips. In the morning, I am approximately 110 years old. By noon I’m back to 60. Just a kid.
                                                                                                    
As always, I am glad to usher the year out and get started on the new one. I almost can’t remember most of the year- except of course the months long presidential campaign from hell.  And this past December filled with sadness for so many families.

My year wasn’t bad. My job changed for the better and I was given a nice new office on the 3rd floor with a view of the Novato hills and the lovely Stars Restaurant. I can come home and walk my dog at lunch if I remember to look up and notice the time.

Toshi loves his bath
I stayed healthy-except for a bad December cold, my dog stayed healthy (which meant no vet bills for the first year in many, my family stayed healthy- and really, you can’t ask for more than that.

Elsie and Renee
My best friend’s mom, Elsie almost ducked out on us- but decided to come back and kick some ass. (I’m guessing about the ass kicking- but she is fully capable.)

My son seems to have found some peace and tranquility- and for that, I am extremely grateful.

I continue to write and had a few small publications this last year- and that always encourages me to keep going. I plug along, trying to hone skills.

I think the highlight of my writing year was a publication /radio broadcast at KQED in San Francisco. It was a piece about our veterans. I was proud to be chosen out of the many essays they receive and very proud to help enlighten the public about veteran’s issues.
http://www.kqed.org/a/perspectives/R20120711073

I always love the New Year because it’s a clean slate. (for me anyway) – I like the fact that you can clean out your office, house, brain, and throw things away before you start making new messes.

Like last year, I’m not making any big plans for this year- I’ll keep doing what I’m doing because it seems to be working. I’ll write a little, maybe sell some real estate, take a few hikes and hopefully this year I’ll spend a little more time with friends and family than I have the last few.

My wish for all is that you have a healthy and happy 2013, that you be kind to one another. Be generous with your love and have an abundance of empathy. It’s okay to give a homeless person a couple bucks if you have it. (Don’t worry about what they spend it on), and try not to hate anyone. Hate will eat you up like cancer- and leave you very ugly from the inside out.  Find peace and keep the hope.

Happy New Year 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment ;o)